When you’re out and about and the “hungries” hit, do you find yourself resorting to sugary low-nutrient snacks just because they’re convenient? A healthier strategy for taking the edge off your hunger might be to keep a small bag or two of your own custom-made trail mix tucked into your handbag or backpack.
Here’s a recipe for a homemade trail mix that’s high in protein, low in salt, free of refined sugar, and full of color from red goji berries, green pistachios, and white coconut. It even has chocolate (unsweetened cacao nibs).
This combination is one of my personal favorites; you can vary your mix the way you like. To use the recipe as-is means tracking down a few less common ingredients, but you might find it’s worth the effort.
Many of the ingredients can be found at natural food stores or online. One example of flaked unsweetened coconut is Bob’s Red Mill. Tierra Farm has high quality pistachios, goji berries, dried cherries, and raw cacao nibs, For good quality dried mulberries, try Navitas Naturals at their site or at amazon.com.
|Custom-Made Trail Mix|| || |
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut; “chipped” or large flakes
- 2 cups hazelnuts, skin-on or blanched
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (unsalted, if available)
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Add about 1 cup of the coconut flakes and distribute them in an even layer. Heat for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until the edges begin to brown. Place toasted flakes in a large mixing bowl. Repeat with the other 1 cup of flakes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to distribute evenly.
- Place approximately 3/4-cup portions in snack-sized zip-top bags. Store at room temperature.
- Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- The Gluten-Free Homemaker Gluten-Free Wednesday
- Wheat-Free Fare Wheat-Free Wednesday
- Poor and Gluten-Free Waste Not Want Not Wednesday