My dad used to say, “You can’t beat beets.” Every time we had them. I thought that was funny, but I disagreed with him—just about any food was better. Now, I have a new relationship with beets, because I just love them when they’re oven-roasted.
This recipe for roasted beet soup is nutritious and colorful. It contains chives, or alternatively green onion. Chives grow well both outdoors and indoors, so you can have them fresh anytime of year.
If you can tolerate dairy, you might want to add a few crumbles of goat cheese or a dollop of yogurt or sour cream. Goat cheese is especially good with roasted beets. For the yogurt or sour cream, a wonderful organic choice is Kalona SuperNatural products, which come from my home town and are available at natural food stores across the United States.
To ensure a gluten-free version, use homemade vegetable or chicken broth, or if using canned or packaged broth, check labels. Swanson’s broths are gluten-free, and Pacific Foods broths are organic and gluten-free.
|Roasted Beet Soup||
- 4 red beets (about 8 ounces)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese or sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash beets and slice off stems and root ends. Wrap each beet in a piece of foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to become cool enough to handle. With a paper towel, rub off skin of each beet. This may require multiple paper towels. Slice off the dark, dry ends.
- Place roasted beets, broth, chives or green onion, thyme, olive oil, and salt in a blender. Remove center cap from blender to allow steam to escape, and place a dish towel or paper towel over the opening. Blend until smooth.
- Place soup in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through and steaming, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- The Gluten-Free Homemaker Gluten-Free Wednesday (Featured!)
- Wheat-Free Fare Wheat-Free Wednesday
- Waste Not Want Not Wednesday at Poor and Gluten-Free