When my first CSA (community-supported agriculture) delivery included radishes and oregano, I thought of posole. Traditional posole is a thick Mexican soup with pork, hominy, garlic, and chilies, but years ago friends served us their version that had chicken, radishes, hominy and oregano. We loved the fresh ingredients and surprising flavor combinations.
For a summer meal, I took the interpretation a little further—from soup to main-dish salad. This salad can be adapted to dietary restrictions by leaving out or serving on the side any ingredients not desired or tolerated.
|Posole Salad|| || |
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, large stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded (about 1/4 small cabbage)
- 4 cups salad greens of choice (about 5 ounces), chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1 14.5-ounce can white hominy, drained
- 3/4 cup sliced radishes (cut in half or quarters top-to-bottom, then slice)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 lime, quartered
- Place the chicken breasts in a heavy-bottomed pan so that they fit snugly in a single layer. Add water to cover plus about 2 inches. Add salt, bay leaf ,and dried oregano.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to barely a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and allow chicken to remain in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and cut into cubes.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or small food processor.
- Process until emulsified and only flecks of cilantro remain.
- In a large salad bowl, place shredded cabbage, salad greens, and oregano leaves.
- Add about two-thirds of the vinaigrette, reserving the rest to drizzle over the top.
- Toss to coat.
- Use the large salad bowl with the dressed greens, or place the dressed greens in individual bowls. Sprinkle with chicken, hominy, radishes, avocado, cheese, and jalapeno pepper.
- Drizzle with the reserved dressing and serve with lime slices.
- Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- Poor and Gluten-Free Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays
- The Gluten-Free Homemaker Gluten-Free Wednesdays