With their delicate, tangy flavor and shortbread crust, almond bars are a favorite crowd-pleasing dessert. They’re also high in sugar. When I can I try to reduce the amount of sugar in the food I make, but some recipes, like this one, are sheer indulgence for special occasions.
The bars are gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free, but people who don’t need to avoid these foods will enjoy them too. The almond extract in the crust gives a bright note to the almond flour. The coconut flour adds a little fiber and just a hint of coconut flavor.
These lemon bars can be made with either Honeyville blanched almond flour or Bob’s Red Mill almond meal/flour. For best results weigh your almond flour rather than using a measuring cup, since the types can differ in moisture content and thus vary in volume.
The recipe amounts can be doubled and the bars baked in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan.
|Almond Flour Lemon Bars|| || |
- 1 1/4 cup (140 grams) almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light-flavored oil (sunflower or other)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 lemons (1/2 cup juice and about 1 tablespoon zest)
- 3 tablespoons starch (corn starch, tapioca starch, or arrowroot powder)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch by 8-inch pan.
- Make the crust: Sift the almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sugar, and salt through a sieve into a medium bowl. Add the oil, almond extract, and water and mix with a fork or hands until all ingredients are moist and dough holds together. Press into pan, forming an even layer. Bake until lightly browned around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the topping: Zest and juice the lemons and strain out any seeds. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and starch until well blended. Pour topping onto hot crust. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, just until topping is set and no longer jiggles when the pan is lightly shaken.
- Cool. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar and cut into 9 squares.