Who doesn’t love a rich, frosted pumpkin bar? This gluten-free, grain-free recipe is adapted from a recipe from my sister-in-law, an excellent cook. The bars are simple to make and can also easily be adapted to be dairy-free.
|Almond Flour Pumpkin Bars With Browned Butter Frosting||
- BARS INGREDIENTS:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) or about 1 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons; can use substitute such as Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or milk alternative
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- MAKE THE BARS: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a large jellyroll pan, baking sheet with 1-inch sides, or, for thicker bars, a 9-inch by 13-inch cake pan. Combine all ingredients and beat well until smooth. Pour into pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown around the edges. Cool slightly before frosting.
- MAKE THE FROSTING: In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk. Over medium heat, bring to boil and cook 1 minute. Remove from burner and add powdered sugar, stirring briskly just until smooth. Immediately spread on bars, distributing as quickly as possible over the entire surface. NOTE: This frosting hardens quickly. If necessary, dip spatula into a glass of warm water to enable spreading.
(Browned butter frosting recipe adapted from “Frosted Pumpkin Bars, Gluten-Free” at celiac.com.)