Oatmeal cookies are wonderful comfort food, but for me, please leave out the raisins and bring on the chocolate chips for the maximum in oatmeal cookie enjoyment. These cookies are chewy and buttery and perfect for the lunchbox or after school snacks.
Make these cookies gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend, and check the label—if the blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum, you’ll need to add some to help bind the dough together. Gluten-free flour mixes include Bob’s Red Mill and Namaste. Also, for those who can’t tolerate gluten, be sure to use gluten-free rolled oats, such as Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats.
|Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies|| || |
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend; see NOTE)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Set two racks in the middle and upper thirds of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Oil baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until blended. Beat in the egg until smooth. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Turn mixer to lowest speed and add dry ingredients a little at a time. Blend just to combine, then add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoons into hands, roll into balls, place on baking sheets 2 inches apart and flatten slightly with hand.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes, turning pans halfway through cooking so they bake evenly and watching carefully after 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven immediately if cookies are becoming brown around the edges. Cookies are done when tops look dry and set or are just beginning to brown.
- After two minutes, place cookies on racks to cool. Store in airtight container or freeze.
Shared at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday (one of the Week’s Picks–thank you, Amy! and The Gluten-Free Homemaker Gluten-Free Wednesday.