Party meatballs have lots of variations; this one is great as a short-notice dish because it uses ingredients you might have around. Mini meatballs can be a slightly substantial appetizer for a party or casual get-together, or they’re good as a main dish with rice and green beans or mashed potatoes and coleslaw.
This recipe can be made with beef or venison, and it’s great with half beef or venison and half ground pork. For a gluten-free version of the bread crumbs, use gluten-free bread such as Udi’s whole grain.
- MEATBALLS INGREDIENTS
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk (alternatives: soy, almond, coconut)
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs (see NOTE)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery and/or onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 pound ground beef or venison (or 1/2 pound ground beef or venison and 1/2 pound ground pork)
- GLAZE INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl beat together egg and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, celery and/or onion, and soy sauce. Add meat and mix well. Shape into balls, about 1 tablespoon each, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- While meatballs are baking, make the glaze: In a 2- to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, whisk the water and cornstarch or arrowroot powder together until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir another minute or two.
- Add cooked meatballs to the saucepan and toss gently to coat with the glaze. Heat through and serve warm as an appetizer or main dish. Can be kept warm in a slow cooker.