How about freezing your coffee for a light, elegant and unusual dessert? This sparkly mocha granita has coffee, chocolate, and whipped cream.
Ghirardelli 70% cacao bittersweet chocolate is wonderful in this granita.
- 1/2 cup dark roast coffee (decaf if desired), ground
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 oz. package bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Brew coffee in 4 cups water in coffee maker or large French press pot.
- Place chocolate pieces in a large shallow pan such as a 9- by 13-inch glass casserole dish. Pour in hot brewed coffee and add sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted.
- Place dish in the freezer. Scrape mixture with a fork every 30 to 45 minutes, loosening frozen bits from the sides and bottom with each stirring until the granita is completely crystallized and no longer moist (3 to 5 hours). Cover and store in the freezer until ready to serve. Just before serving, loosen and stir mixture with a fork. Chocolate will remain in slightly larger chunks.
- Whip cream to soft peaks, then add sugar and vanilla and whip just until combined.
- To serve, spoon granita into sherbet dishes or parfait glasses. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons whipped cream.