Even when you’re not on a “detox” diet or trying to cleanse, it doesn’t hurt to incorporate healthful foods like kale and cabbage into your everyday life.
There are umpteen recipes for detox salads. This is one that I love and lately have been eating almost every day for lunch. I sprinkle on leftover cubed fish or chicken, boiled egg, or sliced avocado (which is also detoxifying), or I might add a cup of soup on the side. A big batch lasts several days.
Along with all of the nutritious greens, the salad has cauliflower, a touch of sweetness from dried fruit, and crunchy chopped nuts.
The recipe was inspired by the delicious detox salad served at the deli at one of my favorite food shopping spots, Bread Garden Market in Iowa City.
|Kale Detox Salad|| |
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 head cauliflower, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 head red cabbage, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch parsley leaves, roughly chopped (about 1 cup), optional
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (cherries, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional: toast 15 minutes in 300°F oven)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped kale, cauliflower, cabbage, parsley, dried fruit, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk salt into apple cider vinegar to dissolve. Gradually whisk in oil, and whisk until emulsified.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to coat. Place in serving bowl or storage bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Keeps for several days.