Hooray—at last, grilling weather is on its way back! Grilled meat, chicken and fish are always delicious and popular, and grilled vegetables can be a welcome and wonderful part of warmer-weather meals too. They have lovely smoky flavor, and they’re quick and easy to throw on the fired-up grill in a grill basket or on a piece of heavy-duty foil.
Grilled asparagus is great on its own, but sometimes you want to dress it up. Lemon is a predictable choice, but when asparagus is smoky from the grill, orange has notes of flavor that complement it nicely. This recipe has orange juice and zest stirred into mayonnaise and an added touch of fragrant oregano.
|Grilled Asparagus With Orange-Oregano Mayonnaise|| |
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 orange, zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Heat grill to high.
- Prepare the mayonnaise: In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and orange zest. Add orange juice, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, just until mayonnaise resembles thick, creamy salad dressing. Stir in oregano and salt, and allow mixture to rest while you prepare and grill the asparagus.
- Prepare and grill the asparagus: Wash and drain asparagus. Bend one spear until it breaks to determine the extent of the tough portions of the spears. With a knife, trim all spears to snapped-off length.
- Place asparagus in a grill pan or basket. If you don't have a grill pan, poke a few holes in a sheet of heavy-duty foil with the tip of a sharp knife and lay the spears on it. Place pan, basket or foil on a cutting board to catch any oil drips. Drizzle on oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Toss gently to coat.
- Place pan or foil with asparagus on hot grill for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the spears and the heat of your grill), stirring once or twice. Asparagus is done when tender-crisp to your liking and some of the surfaces are brown and caramelized.
- Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately with a ribbon of mayonnaise drizzled over spears or with the mayonnaise on the side.
- Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- The Gluten-Free Homemaker Gluten-Free Wednesday
- Wheat-Free Fare Wheat-Free Wednesday
- Poor and Gluten-Free Waste Not Want Not Wednesday