There’s nothing like a steaming bowl of soup to warm up a winter’s day. I’m always on the lookout for hearty soups that are easy to make and healthful. This creamy curried carrot soup is a recipe I found recently on Pinterest (my new favorite social network that I’m frankly addicted to) and tried for the first time last week. It fits the bill nicely on all counts. The soup can be made vegetarian and dairy-free by using coconut oil and vegetable broth.
Serve the soup with a salad, sandwich, or warm bread. Pitas might be good. (There’s a gluten-free pita recipe on my blog post, White Bean Dip and Pita Wedges.) Another great bread alternative would be a favorite of mine—naan, a wonderfully textured yeasted Indian flatbread that naturally goes very well with curry. Look for this bread in larger grocery stores’ or natural food stores’ freezer section. I haven’t yet tried gluten-free naan. Please let me know if you have a good recipe for it!
|Curried Carrot Soup|| |
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups carrots, peeled and sliced or roughly chopped (about 3 pounds)
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or less for milder flavor)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil or butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and very slightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and cook and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, curry powder, optional red pepper, and salt. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, turn heat to medium low, and boil until carrots are soft, 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the carrot pieces.
- In blender in batches, carefully puree soup until smooth, or puree with an immersion blender. The soup will be thick, so add water or more broth if you prefer a thinner consistency. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream or plain yogurt and cilantro sprigs, if desired.