The tamari almonds you find in the bulk section at natural food stores are wonderful, salty, and addictive. However, they’re pricey and, if you’re eating gluten-free, they’re prohibited because traditional soy sauce contains gluten. This recipe gives you almonds comparable to the ones in stores and is quick and easy to make at home.
|Tamari-Roasted Almonds|| |
- 1 pound raw almonds, skin-on (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the almonds on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce oven temperature to 300°. Let almonds cool about 30 minutes.
- Toss the cooled almonds with the tamari or soy sauce, then toss with the melted butter or coconut oil. Roast in the 300° oven for an additional 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until browned.
- Season with salt. Cool to room temperature and serve. Store in bags at room temperature.
(Recipe adapted from the May 2010 issue of Food & Wine Magazine.)Pin It