Granita, an Italian shaved ice-like dessert, has beautiful sparkle, and no special equipment is required to make it. You need only a pan or dish, a fork, and your freezer. This watermelon granita recipe uses fresh ingredients of watermelon and lime, and the addition of mini chocolate chips makes for a fun conversation piece. Dish it up and then let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving to take the edge off the chill and bring out the flavors.
|Watermelon Granita|| |
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place the watermelon, sugar, and lime juice in a blender and process until liquefied.
- Pour the mixture into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and place dish in the freezer. Scrape with a fork every 30 to 45 minutes, loosening frozen bits from the sides and bottom with each stirring.
- After the granita is completely frozen (3 to 5 hours), mix in chocolate chip “seeds.”
Fostoria sherbet dish in photograph courtesy of Pink Begonia.